|
Calculez la conso électrique de votre PC
|
Hébergez vos photos
+ Reply to Thread
    Update : Official Memtest86+ USB Installer released

Select Download - Auto-installer for USB Key from this link

Run boot Memtest86+ from USB flash drive

Useful for Notebook they don't have DVD drive to boot.

Backup USB flash drive before run installer

Approved & sticky'ed!

This method is far better than the DOS loader. I will consider to put a link to your website on memtest.org or perhaps use the package directly. Just let me know...

Excuse me, forumers, but... What is the method: Download - Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS) on Memtest86+??... http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
    Last edited by turson; 10/11/2009 at 19h00.

sorry, I must make a correction to the above, where it says:
    Quote Originally Posted by John212 View Post
    Unzip and rename file from memtest86+-4.00.bin to memtest and over copy to USB Flash drive.
    should rename the file as mt86plus and over copy

How is this method different than starting memtest from GRUB?

Like:
    kernel /boot/IMG/memtest86+-4.10.bin

When you use the installer to create a memtest86+ bootable install, does it wipe the rest of the stick? I see the thing about backing up, but I'd still like to know - to help me decide what stick to use. Can I put other things on _after_ the install, if it does wipe the stick? And how large is the install - how small a stick can I use? Thanks!

I could try it out and find out, of course, but I just spent some 20 minutes looking for this info and I can't imagine I'm the only one. Having it listed here (or preferably, on the download page or in the zip file) would make things simpler for, I suspect, a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by jjmcgaffey View Post
    When you use the installer to create a memtest86+ bootable install, does it wipe the rest of the stick? I see the thing about backing up, but I'd still like to know - to help me decide what stick to use. Can I put other things on _after_ the install, if it does wipe the stick? And how large is the install - how small a stick can I use? Thanks!

I could try it out and find out, of course, but I just spent some 20 minutes looking for this info and I can't imagine I'm the only one. Having it listed here (or preferably, on the download page or in the zip file) would make things simpler for, I suspect, a lot of people.
    It says it'll wipe the stick but it didn't. To be sure I would still back it up.

Unzip the file into a folder on your desktop, copy it to the USB drive and execute the file. Reboot computer and open up your boot menu. Boot from drive. Easy as can be.

Quote Originally Posted by jjmcgaffey View Post
    When you use the installer to create a memtest86+ bootable install, does it wipe the rest of the stick?
    Yep I presume it wipe the whole stick. I haven't test myself but I'm pretty sure. Btw I use memtest via Ubtunu, from a USB key. I install it whit http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download and this way I always have an OS on me (can help when you suddenly meet a crashed Win install in the forest or else).
    This could be a solution too, you need at least a 1GB key.

And how large is the install - how small a stick can I use? Thanks!
    Easy, iso is just a package, like a zip/rar, but without compression. So Watch memtest iso size, and you have your answer

So here is my problem. I have installed Memtest on Usb. It asked if I would like to format the stick. I did so. then said I should Run it in computer. there are multiple boots that I can choose that contain USB in them. What do I do?

I tried this installer and everything seems to work just fine creating the USB key. However, putting it into a machine and booting from it results in a black screen and flashing cursor, no other result. I waited it out for over 20 minutes, and tried three different machines just to see if it was one particular machine. I re-downloaded and made the key from all three machines in turn, trying to get it to boot, with the same result every time. What am I missing here?

Oh, and I tried both 4.10 and 4.20 just for good measure.

The total file size occupied on the key is just under 1.5MB.

Same as pchopper...create usb (chose YES to format USB drive first), but won't boot in any computer. Just a black screen with a flashing cursor.
    What's the problem?

I used the following method on my Windows PC to create the USB stick.

1. Download the file to downloads folder, once there extract the zip archive to a folder.
    2. Insert the usb drive to be used into the pc, note the drive letter.
    3. The installer can reformat the usb drive, this is recommended, so back up any content on the drive or lose it.
    4. Run the installer, You will be asked to select the usb drive by letter, so get this correct! Check the box for reformatting the usb drive, this is recommended.

The installer works quickly. In order to use the usb drive to run the test you will need to reboot the pc. When you do so you may have to select the boot order manually if your computer has not been set up to boot usb first. On my PC, in order to manually boot from the usb drive I need to press esc repeatedly as the computer restarts to access the menu. I then scroll down the list and choose the usb drive. Memtest boots quickly and gets started immediately on the tests. Press esc to exit and reboot the pc.

I didn't have any problems at all making and using the usb drive, which was a 128 mb old Lexar. Best of luck to you all.

Greg
    :-)

I tried this - but I don't get any options besides starting windows via CD or in safe mode etc - I did try setting up the boot to use removeable - but that doesn't work either - it just ignors it.....lol - it won't work for me - and is so frustrating / Anyone else got a solution please?

Quote Originally Posted by erroneousgrog View Post
    I used the following method on my Windows PC to create the USB stick.

1. Download the file to downloads folder, once there extract the zip archive to a folder.
    2. Insert the usb drive to be used into the pc, note the drive letter.
    3. The installer can reformat the usb drive, this is recommended, so back up any content on the drive or lose it.
    4. Run the installer, You will be asked to select the usb drive by letter, so get this correct! Check the box for reformatting the usb drive, this is recommended.

The installer works quickly. In order to use the usb drive to run the test you will need to reboot the pc. When you do so you may have to select the boot order manually if your computer has not been set up to boot usb first. On my PC, in order to manually boot from the usb drive I need to press esc repeatedly as the computer restarts to access the menu. I then scroll down the list and choose the usb drive. Memtest boots quickly and gets started immediately on the tests. Press esc to exit and reboot the pc.

I didn't have any problems at all making and using the usb drive, which was a 128 mb old Lexar. Best of luck to you all.

Greg
    :-)
    ---------- Post added at 09h50 ---------- Previous post was at 09h28 ----------

Could we please have some Simple Install instructions on what to do exactly - to make this work. I know this prog is Free - but surely there should be instructions on how to make it work? Bad enough having probs with the computer as it is - without the frustration of a diagnostic not working either......lol Would be Very nice if ALL bios were Standard - then mine would have the choice to make it start from the usb or drive - but it doesn't - I have 4 choices - Hard Drive - CD - Floppy or removable, I have no floppy [nor do many ppl I would think now] and removable does not work for the USB flash Drive as a boot option - and the well written explanation from erroneousgrog does not work for me - as you can see from my post above - so where do I go from here I wonder? LOL - I am laughing - as if I don't I will cry /

OK - nm - did it totally differently - decided as the stupid Flash stick did not seem to work - I put it onto CD instead - I Downloaded the:

Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

Extracted the zip and then dragged the ISO into Nero - once saved - restarted and changed the Bios to start via CD - then when it restarted after fixing the Bios - the test kicked in - YAY! Hope this helps someone
    Only problem is - it gave me a clean bill of health - so Now I have to try to figure out just what the problem is if it is not the memory Back to square one.

Hello,

I can't setup memtest86+ 4.2 on a USB drive.

I plugged 2 of them on my PC but the drop-down menu where you're supposed to select the drive letter remains empty, as if no USB drive was connected. Although in both case, I could browse the drives properly from My Computer. Any idea as to what's wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Galahad,
    Did you plug in the drive before starting the setup?

OK so when will I know to stop the test it says 2 pass errors 0 and at the bottom it says complete and to press ESC and exit but I'm not sure its done and what about the C configuration menu is that to be left alone or do you have to do something there. And I can only start in safe mode is that a problem and how do I resreave the test result when it does finish? Any awnser would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
    Hello,

I can't setup memtest86+ 4.2 on a USB drive.

I plugged 2 of them on my PC but the drop-down menu where you're supposed to select the drive letter remains empty, as if no USB drive was connected. Although in both case, I could browse the drives properly from My Computer. Any idea as to what's wrong?

Thanks for your help!
    Looks like no one cares about this issue huh??

I have the same issue. I tried it on 3 different USB thumb drives (all 8gig) and it did not see them. Is it a Win 8.1 issue or what????

You're right about one thing, no one cares

However, it's not a Windows 8.x issue. I had the issue with Win 7 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by pudytat View Post
    Looks like no one cares about this issue huh??

I have the same issue. I tried it on 3 different USB thumb drives (all 8gig) and it did not see them. Is it a Win 8.1 issue or what????

Absolutely correct. No one cares.
    It you want it fixed either fix it yourself or pay someone to fix it. If don't want to spend the time or money, then clearly you don't care much either.

I care

No not really, but this internet thing has helped me many a time, so time to help the internet back. so in case the interweb dudes above have subscribed to this thread, or for anyone else that comes across the above issue:

The problem with the USB drive not showing up comes down to the removable attribute. Prior to Win 8, all these flash drives would have the flag set as removable. For some reason, Microsoft have made Win 8 certification require that a flash drive have this removable flag not set. Why they did this, there's probably a reason, but i'm just a random internet user here to shed some light. The auto-installer is simply trying to stop you from formatting and writing the boot files to effectively any disks which don't have a removable attribute.

(top one is an old flash drive with removable attribute - bottom one is a Sandisk cruzer switch 8GB which is Win 8 'certified'.)

ps. this was documented in a KB article on Sandisk's website but for some reason they took it down.

Regards
    Phil K. S.